7 Ways Acupuncture Can Help You
Updated: Nov 14
There are so many ways that Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine Therapies can factor into everyday healthcare and keeping us well and thriving.
Here are some great examples . . . and a few that may surprise you!
1. PAIN MANAGEMENT
This is what acupuncture is famous for, right? Remember the very first time you ever heard about acupuncture or Chinese Medicine? I’ll bet it was about relief from some physical pain, but let’s move beyond the undisputed #1 and talk about how else acupuncture and the whole gamut of Traditional Chinese Medicine can help heal your ills.
2. ACUPUNCTURE CAN REDUCE BLOOD PRESSURE
While treating someone with acupuncture is often the first option chosen when someone comes into our clinic with high blood pressure, we most times have to address diet, and sometimes prescribe herbs to help patients get their blood pressure regulated. It’s important to mention these other aspects of Chinese Medicine because the misconception exists that walking into a Chinese Medicine clinic, means walking into an "acupuncture-only clinic," with only a pain management focus. Not so . . . read on.
3. WOMEN'S HEALTH ISSUES LIKE MENOPAUSAL SYMPTOMS, INFERTILITY, LABOR and DELIVERY readiness, and Postpartum health are a large part of what my partner in practice, Cristina R. de La Mar, M.S., L.Ac., Doula helps women with in our Short Hills-Millburn, NJ location. The success of supporting women through these monumental steps in life has become more and more popular in recent years, even among celebrities like Celine Dion, Kate Winslet, Natalie Portman and Sigourney Weaver and Professional Athletes like Basketball All-Star Devin Harris, NFL Pro Joe Thomas and Yankee's Pitcher A.J. Burnett
4. ONCOLOGY SUPPORT THROUGH ACUPUNCTURE and CHINESE MEDICINE has increasingly become a comforting choice for those facing the challenges and side effects of various cancer treatments. Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine therapies help mitigate the various side-effects of chemo, radiation and immunotherapies such as body aches, night sweats, digestive issues, anxiety, and insomnia. It also offers a powerful treatment as a pain management option and significantly calm the nervous system.
5. STRESS MANAGEMENT - the bullet point for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - has become a go-to for many in these troubling times. We all experience different levels of stress in our daily lives with mixed results and manageability, and many patients find their way to acupuncture because it has proven to be a very effective way to bring one back to center.
6. ADDICTION RECOVERY SUPPORT - Dr. Michael O. Smith, the inventor of the NADA Protocol (National Acupuncture Detoxification Association), a five-point ear acupuncture trauma and recovery healing method, helped thousands of recovering addicts at the Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, NY before his passing on December 24th of 2017. The NADA protocol has helped abate cravings and reduce withdrawal symptoms from drugs, alcohol, and food addiction, and been a treatment mainstay at Lincoln Hospital since 1974. It was also found to improve sleep and provide stress management for those incarcerated in prisons and jails.
7. INSOMNIA - Acupuncture can help relax the body, and balance both the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight response) and the parasympathetic nervous system as well as balance any internal deficiencies that may prevent the body from shutting down at night. We also promote "sleep etiquette" to support you to create a routine that promotes optimal sleep. Since the light from our iPads, iPhones and computer screens activates the pineal gland (between our eyes), it fools the body into thinking that it is still daytime, preventing the natural shift from the Yang phase of the Daytime, to the Yin phase of Night time. Improving sleep routines coupled with Chinese Medicine therapies can make all the difference!
These seven are just a sampling of the many benefits of Acupuncture, as acupuncture has been a viable Medical Therapy for Eastern civilizations for at least 3000 - 4000 years . . . both without side effects and without tremendous cost, may I add.
VERSATILE & MOBILE MEDICINE
Additionally, Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Therapies are a mobile medicine, as we rely upon hands-on physical assessment to diagnose illness instead of machines, and use tools that can be packed in a small case and carried over the shoulder.
Acupuncture has been part of this country’s culture in Private Practice for many years, and will soon become an option in hospitals, as we strive to navigate the current opioid crisis. This should factor into our country’s Healthcare plan moving forward, and as we are finally at the point where we acknowledge that there are other ways to manage our pain and illnesses.
This shift is good news . . . no great news, and we can all use some great news right about now, can’t we?
GET IN TOUCH, SAY HELLO, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Phil Veneziano, M.S., L.Ac.
Cristina R. de La Mar, M.S., L.Ac., Doula
Seven Point Wellness is an Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine Clinic, located at 187 Millburn Ave., Suite #101 in Millburn, NJ, in the Trader Joe / CVS Business Complex.
We are an easy drive from Maplewood, South Orange, Short Hills, Livingston and most cities in Union, Morris and Essex County, NJ. We are also an easy walk from the New Jersey Transit via bus or train.
#acupuncture #chinesemedicine #orthopedics #nutrition #pregnancy #doulanj #womenshealth #menshealth #holisticnutrition #healthyeating #holistichealth #pregnancy #preparingforlabor #chinesemedicinenutrition #midwivesofnj #laboranddelivery #midwife #midwifery #pregnancy #preparingforlabor #chinesemedicinenutrition #laboranddelivery #midwife #midwifery #thefertilitytribe #fertilitysupport #cuppingtherapy #cupping #orthopedics #menshealth #chathamsummitmoms #millburnathletics #athletes #triathletes #fitness #maplewoodnj #southorangenj #mentalhealthnj #emotionalwellnessnj #meditationnj #yoga #massage #covid_19 #stretchingexercises #chinesecupping #chinesecuppingtherapy #millburnshorthills #acupuncture #painmanagementNJ #NewJerseyPainManagementClinic #NaturalPainRemedy #AcupunctureMidtownManhattan
Links to References:
Dr. Michael O. Smith
NADA Protocol (National Acupuncture Detoxification Association)
Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NYC
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder